Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Hack4Europe! 2012 - Warsaw, Poland
Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM (CEST)
More details (including prizes) can be found on the dedicated event website: http://hack4europe.info/
Hack4Europe! is a series of hack days organised by the Europeana Foundation and its partners and provide an exciting environment to explore the potential of open cultural data for social and economic growth in Europe. To feel the atmosphere to the event you can read a short summary of one of the events from the last year edition.
Hack4Europe 2012 Warsaw is being coordinated by National Audiovisual Institute in cooperation with Poznań Supercomputing and Networking Center. The event will take place on 26 and 27 May 2012 at National Audiovisual Institute in Warsaw.
The hackathon will bring together up to 35 developers from Poland and the surrounding area. They will have access to the diverse and rich Europeana collections containing over 20 million records through the Europeana Search API (incl. a test key and technical documentation).
Participants will be encouraged to try out their ideas for creative reuse of the Europeana content and build prototypes showcasing the social and business value of open cultural data. The suggested (but not obligatory) themes are:
- Going mobile: Applications that bring Europeana to the mobile devices be they smartphones or tablets! Take advantage of geo-data and geo-awareness.
- Mashing-up: Mash-up with other APIs and combine and enrich Europeana content with other free content from e.g. Wikipedia.
- Social curation: Applications that allow users to curate Europeana content a share it with the world and each others on social platforms.
- User annotations: Applications that let users enrich Europeana objects with comments, tags, links to external sources, or links to other Europeana objects. This can be in the form of a game.
- World War One: Special attention will be on applications built to showcase the human interest side of world war one based on the material collected during the Europeana collection days.
You can find out more about prototypes developed during previous hackathons on this website.
Best prototypes will be awarded prizes in the four categories:
- best commercial viability
- greatest social impact
- most innovative
- developers’ pick (voted by hackathon participants)
Winners from the individual hackathons will be then further evaluated and one finalist per category will be invited and awarded a special prize during the Digital Agenda Assembly on 21-22 June in Brussels.
- Developers must register in advance to indicate their interest. Depending on the demand for the event, organisers will decide on the final delegate list and send a confirmation e-mail to the selected ones about two weeks prior to the events. Registration closes on 20 May 24 May. Please register as soon as you can to be able to receive the final confirmation e-mail in a time which will allow you to arrange your participation.
- Hackathon is organized as an international event, the language used in all official parts of the event will be English. This is also the language in which the Europeana API technical documentation is available.
- The event agenda will not be strongly structured to give a lot of flexibility to the participants. The general schedule at the moment looks following (subject to change):
- Saturday, 2012/05/26
- 11 AM: Hackathon starts with some introductory speeches by organizers
- Sunday, 2012/05/27
- 3 PM: Development ends,
- 4:30 - 6:15 PM: Presentation of prototypes, awards ceremony, end of hackathon (in Klubokawiarnia Chłodna 25)
Follow us on Twitter: #hack4europe
When & Where
National Audiovisual Institute & Poznań Supercomputing and Networking Center
National Audiovisual Institute: http://www.nina.gov.pl/
The National Audiovisual Institute (NInA) was created on April 1st 2009 by the Polish minister of culture and national heritage who reestablished the institution from a publishing house launched in 2005 (as Polish Audiovisual Publishers).
NInA set up with the objective of digitisation and promotion of Polish audiovisual heritage including publishing, production and registration, media education and artistic events. NInA’s mission is also conducted through events (festivals, concerts, conferences and exhibitions) which stimulate Poland’s cultural landscape.
Between 1 July and 31 December 2011, Poland held the Presidency of the Council of the European Union. For many years, culture has been a vital element in the activities promoting Poland in the European Union, hence cultural institutions started taking an active part in the preparations for the first Polish Presidency. With the decision of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage, the National Audiovisual Institute has been entrusted with the task of designing and implementing the Cultural Programme – Polish EU Presidency 2011 – by coordinating national artistic events and presenting the key element, the European Culture Congress in Wrocław on 8-11 September 2011.
Poznań Supercomputing and Networking Center: http://www.man.poznan.pl/online/en/
Since 1993 integrating and developing the information infrastructure for science has been the mission of Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center (PSNC) affiliated with the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry at the Polish Academy of Sciences. PSNC is the leader in implementing innovative technologies for the national scientific network POL-34/155/622, at present in the network PIONIER – Polish Optical Internet.
PSNC is multifunctional:
- providing computing power and archive systems,
- providing the Internet and network services on international, domestic and local levels
- research and development center for new generation computer networks, modern applications, portals, parallel and distributed computing as well as network and system security
- integration and implementation of scientific research results via developing services for public administration, healthcare, education and the social area,
- computing center in the metacomputing environment
- promotion center for cutting edge information structures: networking and calculating.
Moreover PSNC acts as:
- the operator of the metropolitan area network POZMAN
- the operator of the domestic network PIONIER (Polish Optical Internet) .